Wednesday, April 4, 2018

One Message Made My Day!


Wednesday, 4 April, 2018

It rained HARD all day today so I hunkered down in the Villa Skorpion as I got wet enough as usual at practice last night.

I had planned on trying to score tickets at the last second at Stadio San Siro for tonight's Serie A calcio (soccer) Derby game between AC Milan an Inter Milan. The idea of standing in the rain while trying to deal with scalpers changed my mind.

I didn't miss much as the game ended in a 0-0 tie.

Still it was a good day as I recalled that in only . . .

. . . more Days my bride Laurie
arrives in Lombardia!

Almost 47 years of marriage and she is still my bride.

Late last night I opened a surprise message that I received via Facebook Messenger from one of the Europe Warriors Senior players that we all coached during a magical week in Mexico City last August.

Louis is a TOUGH Running Back
with strong Italian roots

He is from New York and played his college ball in-state at Marist College.

Last year he played for Italy's DI Torino Giaguari which led to his selection to our Europe Warriors All-Star team.

His extremely kind note really brightened and re-focused me after what had been a bleak practice situation last night.

Louis got me back into a positive mental frame of mind instantly.

Louis at Mexico City's Olympic Stadium
before our game with the UNAM Pumas

As I learned back in 2010 when I did my 500 mile pilgrimage walk on France and Spain's Camino de Santiago, in life, "The Camino Provides."

I have always taken that Camino mantra to mean that in life, at unexpected times, positiveness will come from unlikely sources like a Europe Warriors running back.

GRAZIE LOUIS!

Part of what Louis did for me was get me to think about all of the hard working Skorpions who make it a joy to show up at practice three times a week due to their hard work and courage.

There are many but tonight I will point out just two.

Nicolas Principi
A hockey player who found the light!

Nicolas is new to American football, this being only his second season playing the game, both with the Skorpions.

He plays outside linebacker and strong safety for us as well as being a Special Teams demon and our Fullback in Goal Line/Short Yardage situations.

He is a worker who is usually the first player on and the last player off the practice field. A sponge, he absorbs as much American football knowledge as possible everytime we get together on or off the field.

After two games, he is currently our leading tackler with 29 combined First Hits and Assists, almost double of the next best Skorpion player's total.

Nicolas is Number 21 in white
vs. the Varese Gorillas

Hockey's loss was definitely American football's gain!

Our Back-Up QB

Gianluca has not had much of an opportunity to play in our first two games but is still an undaunted, team player. Being good friends with Nicolas helps him have a partner to also put in as much extra time as he can trying to get better.

What I like most about Gianluca is his heart and courage that he shows at each and every practice.

These are just two of the valiant Skorpions that Louis' note helped me to remember why one coaches this crazy game of ours.

It is first, foremost and always about the people!

Oh the wonderful people you meet in Mexico coaching American football . . .

No comments: