Thursday, February 19, 2015

The long road back to Murcia


Wednesday, 18 February, 2015:

The general plan for these Travel Days is usually the same with a simple and time tested photo session upon arriving in the day's destination.

First, take a picture of the return
to Murcia train schedule

Once this is done, I can then plan the rest of my travel day, or in this case days, knowing when the next train for Murcia is leaving. Then, whether I am looking to stay later because I'm having more fun than I deserve or leave sooner than originally thought because I've run out of things to see, I know when to head back to the train station.

My original plan for today was to get up in time for the complimentary breakfast in the hotel (it was a good one) and then see some more of Águilas before boarding the 11:48 train home.

I had awakened early and eaten breakfast in plenty of time to catch the 9:00 a.m. public bus that picks up right in front of our hotel for the ten minute ride to the train station to catch the 9:48 a.m. train instead.

As I mentioned in yesterday's post about the Carnaval, Águilas is a sleepy Mediterranean beach town that will be great in the Spring and Summer and is great during their Carnaval season. Other than that, there really is not much to see or do here on two overcast, drizzly February days.

Once at the train station, I found myself to be the only person there other than the Station Master who manned the ticket office.

ME: I would like to buy a ticket for the 9:48 a.m. train to Murcia.

STATION MASTER: That train has been cancelled today.

ME: OK, then let me buy a ticket for the 11:48 a.m. train to Murcia instead.

STATION MASTER: Not possible, that train has also been mysteriously cancelled today, but the next train to Murcia will leave at 1:48 p.m.

ME: OK then, I would like to buy a ticket for the 1:48 train.

STATION MASTER: It is too early, I can't sell you a ticket for that train, come back at 1:00 p.m. and you can buy it then.

The great thing about this ever so typical exchange in my beloved Spain is that the 1:48 p.m. train to Murcia was the only train scheduled to leave Águilas between the time of our question and answer period at approximately 9:15 a.m. and, you guessed it, 1:48 p.m. I'm still not clear as to why he couldn't sell me a ticket now but no problem, I'll be back.

So, what to do for the next four hours?

Explore.

This map of Águilas
gave me no new ideas

Sundials are not much help in
passing the time on overcast days

Ladies queuing in the morning

This clothing store opened at 10:00 a.m. and, today only, everything sold for 9 Euros! 

The Fish Market did not have much
to offer today either

Stairway to Heaven

It was now about 11:30 a.m. and the ciudad was as dead as could be.

But wait, what was this on my map?

The Museo del Fútbol Águileño, a must see I'm sure!

Closed

Like most things in Águilas the last two days, it was closed.

Museo del Fútbol Águileño
Time Schedule

Let's see, entry is free, that's a good price!

Open:
Tuesday through Saturday, 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Sundays and Holidays, 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Closed Mondays so that the Staff can rest.

I can understand the Staff's need for the day off after another grueling 18 hour work week at the Museo.

Finally, at about Noon, I headed back to the train station because:
A. there was nothing else to do in town,
B. rain was threatening again and
C. there was a large contingent of German speaking Senior citizens walking about the city of just about the right age to make me worry that I might have stumbled upon an impromptu Condor Legion reunion.

Back at the Train Station

These two provided all of the entertainment that I needed waiting for the Ticket Office to re-open after the lunch break.

While these two would continue to discuss/argue about everything in the Spanish political spectrum, a three person line formed at the Ticket Office. Once I saw that the Office was open again, I joined them.

No problem, as buying a ticket takes about a minute, MAX.

Problem.

The first two men in the line were together and were trying to exchange some tickets for new ones with a million questions included that the Station Master just had to answer.

Twenty-five minutes later, our line was growing and the two men were still fully engaging the Station Master in, I'm sure, witty repartee about the travel industry.

I was starting to get a little anxious as, for all I knew, all of the other trains bound for Murcia may have been cancelled until April or May. This train might be my last chance to get back to the Cobras for practice tonight if I could just buy a ticket!

Finally, at about 1:30 p.m., the Station Master looked up, saw the now long line and said "Oh, do any of you need to buy tickets for the 1:48 p.m. train to Murcia?"

Of course, we all did. Efficiently, he had all of us on our merry way in about three quick minutes before returning to the two fascinating men with their exotic travel plans.

At practice tonight, we had a solid turnout for the Junior workout. The Seniors were another matter all together as we still resemble a MASH unit after Sunday's physical game against the Reus Imperials.

Safe to say, we were all happy to not have a game this weekend.

More days . . .

No comments: