Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pig Snout Salad


Monday just saw me cruising the La Croix-Rousse district again still on the lookout for the perfect croissant and cafe.
Several good candidates reside on this Bohemian hilltop for sure. I shall continue my research in this area in future weeks.

In the evening, our Cadets and Juniors both had solid practices on a very chilly night as their first contests near.

Tuesday was an interesting day that started positively with a good football/lunch meeting with our GM Julien Urgenti in the St.-Just district at a fine little restaurant called Les Caprices de Sophie. As a foriegner eating in this quaint establishment, I was required by custom to use Sophie's official black permanent ink marker to write of my loyalty to the fine cuisine that they served us on the ceiling. No problem, my inability to reach said ceiling was easily overcome when the owner invited me to just stand on the nearby table where others had recently been dining.

The main topic of conversation revolved around a very pressing issue, our latest import QB had decided that he had changed his mind about joining us and we only had three more practices before our season opener.

Back to the drawing board.

For some unknown reason, I was drawn to the nearby Cimetiere de Loyasse for a stroll. I find these ancient burial sites in Europe of interest.

Halloween IS Wednesday after all.

Our Senior team practice Tuesday night was in intense one. We are slowly but surely getting better each and every practice. Thursday is a National Holiday so we will not have a Senior practice that evening. That means that we only have two more practices before our season opener against our crosstown rivals, Les Gones.

Wednesday, I went to the La Part-Dieu district to first purchase a Lyon Library Card. My first check out was a Sherlock Holmes anthology.

After the library, I strolled to the train station across the street and, after a pain chocolate and a cafe, purchased some train tickets for the weekend. Because of the National Holiday and no "B" team game this weekend, I decided to take a holiday of my own.

My destination is Normandy to visit Rouen, Caen, Bayeux, Mont St. Michel and, of course, the D-Day beaches. I am really looking forward to these wonderous places.

I met our team President Christophe Thuau for lunch at one of his favorite Lyonnaise restaurants, Cafe du Nain. That translates into The Cafe of the Dwarf.

No PC in Lyon.

I asked Christophe to do the ordering but not tell what we were eating until after we finished.

That is how I came to eat PIG SNOUT salad before digging into my delicious andouille sausage swimming in a savory mustard sauce. Andouille sausage is mostly made of PIG TRIPE. It actually all tasted pretty darn good! The red wine was strong and good as well.

Christophe also gave me a gift of two very nice bottles of red wine to enjoy in The Villa at my leisure.

GOOD TIMES INDEED!!!

We only had a Cadet practice tonight and we were missing quite a few players, still a lot of good work was accomplished, especially in the passing game.

Normandy, here I come!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

now we're talking !!!
salade de museau et andouillete à la moutarde !!!
you're a true Lyonnais now !!
have fun in Normandy ;)
Don't forget to try seafood there !
especially oysters, scallops & blue lobster !

Olivier R said...

Damned it s 7:45, i ve just finished breakfast and I m hungry again.... Definitely need some Lyon vacations!

steveswindle said...

What happened with your QB?